The RGS encourages students to adopt the following mindset:
- being fiercely curious and intellectually inquisitive;
- looking for opportunities beyond the curriculum and making connections between individual subjects;
- encouraging creativity and a free-thinking approach which is willing to challenge conventional opinion;
- providing opportunities for research and presentation skills;
- mental resilience and flexibility to identify and offer creative solutions to challenges and not be daunted by initial failure and setback, rather seeing it as a constructive and necessary part of development;
- being ambassadors of excellence and celebrating aspiration and achievement while always remaining humble;
- enriching and benefiting others within the School and those in the community;
- developing a lifelong love of learning and a lasting thirst for knowledge and self-improvement.
These qualities are not just reserved for academic scholars, but rather are a description of the culture at the RGS and what characterises the ethos of the School. They are the qualities to which every student should aspire.
The combination of genuine breadth and depth is at the heart of the School’s philosophy. Our curriculum offers access to all the aesthetic, human and social, linguistic, mathematical, creative and literary, scientific and technological, physical and moral and spiritual areas of learning. By studying a range of subjects, our students are able to find their own voice, make informed option choices and forge a bespoke path which plays to their individual strengths and passions.